• Personalized Representation

    Work directly with your attorney every step of the way.

    Boutique Law Firm
  • Navigating the Divorce Process

    Get the guidance you need throughout this difficult time.

    Divorce Process
  • Stay Close to Your Kids

    We can help you protect your relationship as a parent.

    Child Custody
  • We Offer a Free Consultation

    Contact us today to learn how we can help you with your case.

    Get Started Today

Losing Parental Rights in New York

Parental rights have to do with the legal relationship between parents and their children. They involve a parent’s responsibility to financially support their children, the right to custody and visitation, and the right to make important decisions about their child, such as what religion the child is raised in, where the child lives, and what school the child attends.

When a child is born to married parents or when a child is born to unmarried parents and paternity is legally established, parental rights are in force. It is not easy to strip parental rights away from a parent so they are relieved of all rights and responsibilities toward their child, but under certain circumstances it is possible.

How Are Parental Rights Terminated?

A biological parent can voluntarily waive their parental rights, but this usually happens when both parents feel it is in the best interests of the child. If a parent surrenders their parental rights, it’s irrevocable. Once it’s done, it’s permanent and there is no way for him or her to change it.

The terminating of parental rights can also be involuntary. It can happen when a child ends up in foster care and a city or foster care agency asks the family court to terminate a parent’s parental rights. There are five legal grounds in New York to terminate parental rights, including:

  1. Abandonment
  2. Permanent neglect
  3. Mental illness
  4. Mental retardation
  5. Severe and repeated child abuse

Note: In a child custody case, one parent cannot try to terminate the other parent’s parental rights. If you want to learn more about how a parent’s rights can be terminated; for example, in the case of domestic violence, reach out to our firm for assistance.

Next: What Qualifies as Child Neglect in New York?

Sometimes, a child is adopted by a stepparent. Usually, for a child to be adopted by a stepparent, the child’s noncustodial parent has to voluntarily terminate their parental rights. Contact Jason M. Barbara & Associates, P.C. to learn more.

Serving All of New York

We stand ready to offer our legal service and knowledge to improve your situation.

Contact Us

Jason M. Barbara & Associates, P.C.
Nassau County Divorce Attorney
Located at: 3 Dakota Dr,
Suite 300,
New Hyde Park, NY 11042

View Map

Phone: (516) 406-8381
© 2019 All Rights Reserved.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.