• Personalized Representation

    Work directly with your attorney every step of the way.

    Boutique Law Firm
  • Navigating the Divorce Process

    Get the guidance you need throughout this difficult time.

    Divorce Process
  • Stay Close to Your Kids

    We can help you protect your relationship as a parent.

    Child Custody
  • We Offer a Free Consultation

    Contact us today to learn how we can help you with your case.

    Get Started Today

How Relocation Affects Child Custody in NY

One thing that is for certain after a divorce, people's lives change. Former spouses may return to college, they may obtain a new job, or relocate, or they may even meet someone new and remarry.

Given the fact that people's lives can change dramatically in the years following a divorce, it's not uncommon for parents to head back to court to discuss child custody issues when one of them wants to move away with the children.

Sometimes a move happens sooner than later, especially when a parent wishes to move closer to family where they will receive more help with the children as they juggle life as a working single parent.

Can a parent move away with the children if they want to, even if they don't have the other parent's permission?

When a parent relocates with a child, it can definitely affect the child's relationship with the other parent, their extended family members, their school, friends and the community. That said, a custodial parent cannot just up and move away if the other parent contests such a move.

Relocations are Handled on a Case-by-Case Basis

Each relocation case is unique, thus the court considers all relevant factors before rendering a decision. The court understands that sometimes it's unrealistic to keep a custodial parent from moving, especially when such a move would yield a better quality of life or a new family unit.

In some cases, the court feels that the child's best interests are met by changing custody – that is if the noncustodial parent is interested in obtaining custody. This is especially common when the child has strong ties to the noncustodial parent and the community.

Often, a second marriage by the custodial parent means that the child is given the opportunity to improve their economic circumstances. Since this can be viewed as a positive, it's one reason why the courts may decide to permit a relocation.

Whether you are seeking to relocate with your child, or you are wishing to contest such a move, you should speak with a Nassau County child custody lawyer from Jason M. Barbara & Associates, P.C. for guidance.

Categories: Child Custody

Serving All of New York

We stand ready to offer our legal service and knowledge to improve your situation.

Contact Us

Jason M. Barbara & Associates, P.C.
Located at: 3 Dakota Dr,
Suite 300,
New Hyde Park, NY 11042

View Map

Phone: (516) 406-8381
Local Phone: (516) 775-5557
© 2019 All Rights Reserved.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.