name change

How Do You Change Your Name Back After a NY Divorce?

How To Change Your Name After a Divorce in New York

Many New Yorkers wish to switch back to their maiden name after their divorce. To do so, there are certain steps you need to follow to complete the process. Fortunately, changing your name post-divorce is not complicated, albeit a little emotionally draining. Today, we discuss how to change your name back after a New York divorce.

Changing Your Name During the Divorce Process

To revert to your maiden name, you will need to first finalize your divorce. In your divorce judgement, include a provision that authorizes your name change. It is standard for a divorce decree to include a section granting you the right to use your former or maiden name. If you need clarification, consult with your lawyer.

In the event this provision was left out, contact the court responsible for handling your case to see if the document can be amended. Most courts in New York State allow amendments; however, some may not. If the court will not allow an amendment, your next option is to file a name change petition.

What Documents Are Required to Change Your Name After Divorce?

To legally change your name after divorce, you must collect the following documents:

  • Certified Copy of your Judgment of Divorce
  • Proof of identification (driver’s license, state ID card, or passport)
  • Proof of age (birth certificate, hospital records, or adoption records)

If you do not have any of these documents, you will need to request them. You can purchase a certified copy of your Judgment of Divorce from the County Clerk’s office in the county where your divorce was granted. You may be required to pay a small fee, which depends on the county you are in and the number of pages in this final decree.

Who Do You Need to Notify After a Name Change?

You will need to let your employer know that you have changed your name as well as your family members and friends. It is also important to let government agencies know about this change as you need to update the following information about yourself:

  • Driver’s license
  • State ID card
  • Passport
  • Social Security Card

You will also need to alert the following companies and institutions about your name change:

  • U.S. Postal Service
  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Financial institutions (including your bank)
  • Health insurance companies
  • Healthcare provider(s)
  • Children’s school

Is There a Time Frame for a Name Change in New York?

There is no time frame to change your name after getting divorced in New York; however, some couples opt to include a stipulation in their final divorce decree outlining a time frame. Most couples proceed with a name change once their divorce has been finalized.

Ensure a name change provision is included in your final divorce decree, by securing the experience of a reputable lawyer who will represent your best interests. Contact us online or via (516) 406-8381">(516) 406-8381 today to schedule a consultation.