• Personalized Representation

    Work directly with your attorney every step of the way.

    Boutique Law Firm
  • Navigating the Divorce Process

    Get the guidance you need throughout this difficult time.

    Divorce Process
  • Stay Close to Your Kids

    We can help you protect your relationship as a parent.

    Child Custody
  • We Offer a Free Consultation

    Contact us today to learn how we can help you with your case.

    Get Started Today

Do I Still Pay Spousal Support If My Ex Is Cohabitating With Another?

There are two different types of spousal support in New York:temporary maintenance and post-divorce maintenance. Temporary maintenance occurs while the divorce is pending and gives one spouse immediate financial assistance until a final divorce judgment is made. The second kind of alimony is post-divorce maintenance, which is awarded by the court once the divorce has been finalized.

Post-divorce maintenance can be durational or non-durational. Durational maintenance only lasts a set period of time and works on the assumption that the other spouse will be able to financially support themselves after a couple of years. Non-durational maintenance is oftentimes used for older divorces, spouses with an illness, or those unable to find work and will be paid out later notice.

Post-divorce maintenance can end in one of three ways:

  • Either spouse passes away
  • Remarriage of the supported spouse
  • Cohabitation of the supported spouse with a romantic interest

When one of this instances occurs, the spouse that is paying spousal support can petition to the court to have their support terminated. However, when the supported spouse is cohabitating with a romantic interest, they must hold themselves in a similar fashion to remarriage for spousal support to be terminated.

Paying alimony is a hefty expense for a marriage that did not work out. When a former spouse is living with someone else, it can feel like they are using your spousal support for something other than financial need.

Our experienced Nassau County divorce attorney can help you if you believe your spousal support is being wasted or if your ex-spouse refuses to pay you the support you need.

If you find yourself in this situation, contact the divorce team at Jason M. Barbara & Associates, P.C. to learn what we can do to help.

Categories: Divorce, Alimony

Serving All of New York

We stand ready to offer our legal service and knowledge to improve your situation.

Contact Us

Jason M. Barbara & Associates, P.C.
Located at: 3 Dakota Dr,
Suite 300,
New Hyde Park, NY 11042

View Map

Phone: (516) 406-8381
Local Phone: (516) 775-5557
© 2019 All Rights Reserved.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.